Zeebe Cluster Docker Compose - same host?

Hi,

Could someone help me to understand what is the point of having a zeebe broker cluster on the same host?

zeebe-docker-compose/cluster/docker-compose.yml at master · camunda-community-hub/zeebe-docker-compose · GitHub

Maarten

@maartend hi there…
containers have their own resources that will be managed by the linux kernel, with that you can leverage running several containers in the same host, as they will have different resources.
Docker Compose is usually targeting a local development environment, for production workloads you should look at Kubernetes, and that is why we provide Helm charts to install Zeebe Brokers, Gateway and Operate into kubernetes clusters.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Hi @salaboy,

I understand, everybody has their preferences :slight_smile:
I work for a very lage enterprise and we do use kubernetes, but also using kubernetes is not a goal by itself and it is not by default simplifiying things.

So many times we create high-available docker solutions with simple plain docker commands or docker swarm.

Thanks

@maartend using swarm or just scripts docker is fine… I am not against that… but I usually I wouldn’t recommend that. If you have a kubernetes cluster with a single line you can install a Zeebe Cluster by using the helm charts… that will automatically deploy Zeebe brokers in your kubernetes cluster nodes. I cannot think about anything easier than that…
Docker Swarm might be a good idea… but from an open source perspective and adoption I wouldn’t recommend it either… I am not saying that it is a bad solution, I just don’t feel like recommending it.

I strongly encourage you to share your findings with those tools, I am pretty sure that there are other teams and companies not jumping into the kubernetes boat just yet.

Cheers