Stuck when canceling instances

Click the Cancel instance button in Operate, and the rotating circle has been displayed for several hours.
I tried cancel from zbctl, but the situation has not improved, ActivateJobs can still see all the jobs.

Using Kubenetes 1.18.0, helm: zeebe-full, default settings.
Docker image camunda/zeebe:0.23.4

1 Like

Hi @BigeYoung,

first, welcome to the Zeebe community :tada:

In order to analyze and reproduce the behavior, you need to provide more information.

• the workflow that you try to cancel
  • any suspicious log message
  • the Graphana metrics of Zeebe

If the system is under load then Operate may be a bit behind importing the data from Zeebe. So, it can take a while to see the updates.

Best regards.
Philipp

1 Like

If the jobs are still activating, then the process has not been cancelled.

There are two channels for Operate: one is the Read channel, which is a connection to ElasticSearch. It sounds like this is working fine.

The other is the Write (Command) channel. For this, Operate needs to access the gRPC API on the Zeebe cluster gateway. If this connection is not working, you would see this behaviour.

Josh

1 Like

Hi, thanks for your reply. I click the cancel button a week ago, but they are still running now.

Before this, I also encountered this problem, so I used helm to completely reinstall the zeebe server, but after that I still could not delete any workflow instances.

The gprc gateway is working well, I can create workflow instance, publish message, and more.

Oh, I see a long error log when I type kubectl logs zeebe-zeebe-0:

Caused by: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: 30,000 milliseconds timeout on connection http-outgoing-31 [ACTIVE]
    at org.elasticsearch.client.RestClient$SyncResponseListener.get(RestClient.java:944) ~[elasticsearch-rest-client-6.8.9.jar:6.8.9]
    at org.elasticsearch.client.RestClient.performRequest(RestClient.java:233) ~[elasticsearch-rest-client-6.8.9.jar:6.8.9]
    at org.elasticsearch.client.RestHighLevelClient.internalPerformRequest(RestHighLevelClient.java:1764) ~[elasticsearch-rest-high-level-client-6.8.9.jar:6.8.9]
    at org.elasticsearch.client.RestHighLevelClient.performRequest(RestHighLevelClient.java:1734) ~[elasticsearch-rest-high-level-client-6.8.9.jar:6.8.9]
    at org.elasticsearch.client.RestHighLevelClient.performRequestAndParseEntity(RestHighLevelClient.java:1696) ~[elasticsearch-rest-high-level-client-6.8.9.jar:6.8.9]
    at org.elasticsearch.client.RestHighLevelClient.bulk(RestHighLevelClient.java:472) ~[elasticsearch-rest-high-level-client-6.8.9.jar:6.8.9]
    at io.zeebe.exporter.ElasticsearchClient.exportBulk(ElasticsearchClient.java:148) ~[zeebe-elasticsearch-exporter-0.23.4.jar:0.23.4]
    at io.zeebe.exporter.ElasticsearchClient.flush(ElasticsearchClient.java:131) ~[zeebe-elasticsearch-exporter-0.23.4.jar:0.23.4]
    ... 8 more

and for kubectl logs zeebe-operate-66f9f5fdb-qvmsz

org.camunda.operate.exceptions.PersistenceException: org.camunda.operate.exceptions.PersistenceException: Error when processing bulk request against Elasticsearch: 30,000 milliseconds timeout on connection http-outgoing-119 [ACTIVE]
        at org.camunda.operate.zeebeimport.AbstractImportBatchProcessor.performImport(AbstractImportBatchProcessor.java:34) ~[camunda-operate-importer-common-0.23.0.jar!/:?]
        at org.camunda.operate.zeebeimport.ImportJob.processOneIndexBatch(ImportJob.java:116) ~[camunda-operate-importer-0.23.0.jar!/:?]
        at org.camunda.operate.zeebeimport.ImportJob.call(ImportJob.java:80) ~[camunda-operate-importer-0.23.0.jar!/:?]
        at org.camunda.operate.zeebeimport.RecordsReader.lambda$scheduleImport$1(RecordsReader.java:219) ~[camunda-operate-importer-0.23.0.jar!/:?]
        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source) [?:?]
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source) [?:?]
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source) [?:?]
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source) [?:?]

I also encountered this problem. My Kubernetes version is 19.3, ElasticSearch version is 7.9.3, zeebe version is 0.25.1.

Thanks!

Hi @lzrhcj, ES 7 is not supported yet. See: https://github.com/zeebe-io/zeebe/issues/3445.

Josh

Hello, I have the same behavior but in version 8.0.0 of zeebe on a kubernetes 1.19.4 cluster, every time I have more instances that cannot be cancelled. I need help please. Thank you