Multi-instance subprocess variable mapping confusion

Hello,

I’m putting together a demonstration workflow for my company. The aim is to find out what benefits using multi-instance tasks/subprocesses might bring us, as opposed to handling the one input → multiple outputs nature of some workflow steps entirely inside our microservices by returning multi-resource IDs as single messages from those steps, like we do currently.
I’ve been trying out different ways to map variables, aiming to minimize the amount of input/output parameter mappings, all the while trying to also minimize the changes needed to our zeebe client library, which can currently only return work results in the variable body, and some extra information in the variable headers.
During this process I noticed something that confused me, and seemingly contradicted the documentation, in particular that of Variables.
This is the sentence I’m confused about:

If no output mappings are defined then all job/message variables are merged into the workflow instance.

If I set up a workflow that looks like this

And map the variables as follows:

task preceding multi-instance subprocess:
    output mapping: body -> items, headers -> headers
multi-instance subprocess: 
    input mapping:
    input collection: items
    input element: item
    output collection: results
    output element: body (I'm trying to save i/o mapping inside the SP)
    output mapping: results -> results, headers -> headers
first task of SP (in our case the same as the last task):
    input mapping: item -> body, headers -> headers
last task of SP:
    output mapping: body -> body, headers -> headers
first task after SP
    input mapping: results -> body, headers -> headers

With this setup, the workflow works as expected, and the microservice of the last task logs body as an array containing the collected work results, and headers as it was passed and modified through the workflow.
HOWEVER
After confirming the above as working I spotted a mapping that seemed redundant, in particular

last task of SP:

So I removed this identity mapping. This broke the workflow, with the following effects

• The microservice of the last task (following the SP) logged body as an array containing all nulls (results mapped to body by the last task input param mapping)
  • The Variables table of zeebe-simple-monitor showed body : null in the scope of the task inside the SP, once for each instance created in the SP
  • header didn’t contain information from the SP either and would’ve been null as well if our client didn’t put in the breadcrumbId at every task

The sentence I quoted from the Variables doc leads me to believe that the identity mapping right before the subprocess end event shouldn’t be necessary, but it definitely is in this case. It also seemed to me that the following paragraph

In case of a sub process, the behavior is different. There are no job/message variables to be merged.

didn’t apply to my issue inside the subprocess, but was referring to the step out of the subprocess, i.e. the output parameter mapping one can edit when clicking on the SP.
It’d be great if someone could explain to me where the issue lies; either in my understanding of variable mappings, or between the behavior and the documentation. Thanks in advance!

Hi @PMarci,

thank you for the detailed description.

The problem of the workflow is here:

first task of SP (in our case the same as the last task):
    input mapping: item -> body, headers -> headers
last task of SP:

When the input mapping of the task is applied then it creates two local variables body and headers in the scope of the task. When the job worker completes the job with the variables body and headers then it updates only the local variables. The propagation of the variables stops at the first place where the variables are defined (https://docs.zeebe.io/reference/variables.html#variable-propagation).

To propagate the variables to higher scopes, an output mapping must be defined.
Or, the variables must have different names.

Does this help you?

Best regards,
Philipp

@philipp.ossler

Does this help you?

Yeah, that clears it up, thanks. I’ve been to the Variable propagation section before, I must not have read it carefully enough, it seems. I have another question that I could use your help with.
In conclusion to the testing I did with multi-instance workflows, I’m being asked what the advantages of using them would be as opposed to handling the multiple-output nature of some of our workflow steps completely internally to our services. I feel like I have a pretty good idea now (letting the broker maintain the number of successful/failed instances instead of propagating the numbers through variables for example), but I’d be interested in your answer as well. Could you please provide a short summary of what you think the advantages would be of using more instances to reflect the number of executions more accurately?

Thanks in advance.

It depends on your use case and how much you want to model in your workflow. If the execution of all tasks of the collection (i.e. the batch) is fast then you don’t need to model the execution with a multi-instance construct.

You may want to use multi-instance if:

• the execution takes more time (i.e. resilience/scalability)
  • involves multiple services (i.e. multiple tasks)
  • you want to track the execution
1 Like