Is it possible to control the workflow from bakend

Hi team,

I just wanted to know whether it is possible to control the workflow from the backend.

Hey @Tauqeer

sorry but I don’t get it.
Could you elaborate a bit what you want to achieve? What exactly is your question ?

Greets
Chris

Hi @Zelldon,

Thanks for response, Actually we were working on design of a workflow, wheree we had requirement for node hopping, i mean skipping few jobs, as we were implementing it the workflow became very complex. So we were just thinking whether can we handle the workflow from backend, lets say i have elasticsearch where i have stored the data of the workflow instance. By manipulating the workflow instance data is it possible to control the workflow execution.

1 Like

No. And if you thinking about doing that, you are probably missing an understanding of some capability in the system. If you have an example model, we can show you how to achieve what you want to do.

As Josh mentions it is currently not possible but you can add message boundary events and go to other places of your workflow, if this is already know during design phase.

Hi Team,

Please find the sample workflow.

1. In my workflow lets assume there are some 10 activities and based on some action i need to go forward or to move backward to some activity might be the next/prev activity or by skipping few activities, all combinations i need to have in my workflow.
  2. How to increase the timer duration dynamically. lets say after completion of activity 1 the workflow is waiting for message to be published and in between i felt like i need more time to complete my task.
    Ex : timer duration= PT5M , and say already 2M elapsed, so left time will be 3M and then i felt like adding 5 more mins. How can i achieve this ???

Hi @Tauqeer,

there is no command to change the timer. But you can model this behavior in your workflow, for example, by publishing a message.

Instead of the receive task with the timer boundary event, you could use an event-based gateway with 3 outgoing paths:

• timer: action response timeout

The message changes the variable that is used by the timer and loop back to the event-based gateway. Here it waits again for one of the events.