io.grpc.StatusRuntimeException: UNKNOWN

Hi,

I have created a workflow diagram for zeebe using parallel gateway where i run multiple microservices concurrently and rather than closing the parallel gateway with another gateway, i send the output from all microservices to a common service task. Though i am not seeing any loss of messages, but the following warning is pretty consistent.

2020-12-08 20:50:32.991 WARN 19324 — [ault-executor-7] io.zeebe.client.job.poller : Failed to activated jobs for worker default and job type pdfmlparser

io.grpc.StatusRuntimeException: UNKNOWN
at io.grpc.Status.asRuntimeException(Status.java:533) ~[grpc-api-1.30.2.jar:1.30.2]
at io.grpc.stub.ClientCalls$StreamObserverToCallListenerAdapter.onClose(ClientCalls.java:460) ~[grpc-stub-1.30.2.jar:1.30.2]
at io.grpc.internal.ClientCallImpl.closeObserver(ClientCallImpl.java:426) ~[grpc-core-1.30.2.jar:1.30.2]
at io.grpc.internal.ClientCallImpl.access$500(ClientCallImpl.java:66) ~[grpc-core-1.30.2.jar:1.30.2]
at io.grpc.internal.ClientCallImpl$ClientStreamListenerImpl.close(ClientCallImpl.java:689) ~[grpc-core-1.30.2.jar:1.30.2]
at io.grpc.internal.ClientCallImpl$ClientStreamListenerImpl.access$900(ClientCallImpl.java:577) ~[grpc-core-1.30.2.jar:1.30.2]
at io.grpc.internal.ClientCallImpl$ClientStreamListenerImpl$1StreamClosed.runInternal(ClientCallImpl.java:751) ~[grpc-core-1.30.2.jar:1.30.2]
at io.grpc.internal.ClientCallImpl$ClientStreamListenerImpl$1StreamClosed.runInContext(ClientCallImpl.java:740) ~[grpc-core-1.30.2.jar:1.30.2]
at io.grpc.internal.ContextRunnable.run(ContextRunnable.java:37) ~[grpc-core-1.30.2.jar:1.30.2]
at io.grpc.internal.SerializingExecutor.run(SerializingExecutor.java:123) ~[grpc-core-1.30.2.jar:1.30.2]
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1130) ~[na:na]
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:630) ~[na:na]
at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:832) ~[na:na]

This is the sample BPMN diagram which i am trying to implement.

There isnt parallel gateway before serv_last task. And workflow ends after any of parallel execution ends + last task. It is possible parallel threads will ends after workflow ends. And it can be error.

1 Like

To keep the desired behaviour, you’d put seven instances of serv_last - one in each of the parallel paths, then join after those, into the end event.

Even after doing so, i am seeing the same behavior. As in the same warning.

I tried putting a parallel gateway before serv_last. Still i see the same issue, i also tried to have individual serv_last for each of the previous servious and tried to put a parallel gateway before then of the result. Still seeing the same result.

@jwulf is there any limit to how many concurrent event we can start using a parallel gateway?

Hey @gshashank5

which Zeebe version do you use?
I think this is related to https://github.com/zeebe-io/zeebe/issues/5187 which was fixed recently, maybe you can try a different version. The UNKNOWN happens on backpressure of job activation.

Greets
Chris

Hi @Zelldon, currently i am using zeebe version 0.24.3 for both client and server.

Fixed in 0.24.4
https://github.com/zeebe-io/zeebe/releases/tag/0.24.4 and higher. Please update to a higher version.

Greets
Chris

1 Like