Docker compose operate error

Hi

I have downloaded from github GitHub - camunda-community-hub/zeebe-docker-compose: Zeebe with Operate Docker Compose configuration
On my Windows10 pro under repository “operate”, i have made an docker-compo
se up
But i havre error message

Blockquote
ERROR: for operate_zeebe_1 Cannot start service zeebe: b’OCI runtime create failed: container_linux.go:345: starting container process caused “process_linux.go:424: container init caused \“rootfs_linux.go:58: mounting \\\”/d/zpoubelle/xxcamunda/zeebe/operate/zeebe.cfg.toml\\\” to rootfs \\\“/mnt/sda1/var/lib/docker/overlay2/0392980b2b7921719aa63fe8f8f8a61ce6bb4957f1bdc986a4581615f0102a47/merged\\\” at \\\“/mnt/sda1/var/lib/docker/overlay2/0392980b2b7921719aa63fe8f8f8a61ce6bb4957f1bdc986a4581615f0102a47/merged/usr/local/zeebe/conf/zeebe.cfg.toml\\\” caused \\\“not a directory\\\”\“”: unknown: Are you trying to mount a directory onto a file (or vice-versa)? Check if the specified host path exists and is the expected type’

ERROR: for operate Cannot start service operate: b’OCI runtime create failed: container_linux.go:345: starting container process caused “process_linux.go:424: container init caused \“rootfs_linux.go:58: mounting \\\”/d/zpoubelle/xxcamunda/zeebe/lib/application.yml\\\” to rootfs \\\“/mnt/sda1/var/lib/docker/overlay2/9377bff69df85f0df0e6b0acb8f4a08589a25d786ca6840f22bf68cef29d622b/merged\\\” at \\\“/mnt/sda1/var/lib/docker/overlay2/9377bff69df85f0df0e6b0acb8f4a08589a25d786ca6840f22bf68cef29d622b/merged/usr/local/operate/config/application.yml\\\” caused \\\“not a directory\\\”\“”: unknown: Are you trying to mount a directory onto a file (or vice-versa)? Check if the specified host path exists and is the expected type’

ERROR: for zeebe Cannot start service zeebe: b’OCI runtime create failed: container_linux.go:345: starting container process caused “process_linux.go:424: container init caused \“rootfs_linux.go:58: mounting \\\”/d/zpoubelle/xxcamunda/zeebe/operate/zeebe.cfg.toml\\\” to rootfs \\\“/mnt/sda1/var/lib/docker/overlay2/0392980b2b7921719aa63fe8f8f8a61ce6bb4957f1bdc986a4581615f0102a47/merged\\\” at \\\“/mnt/sda1/var/lib/docker/overlay2/0392980b2b7921719aa63fe8f8f8a61ce6bb4957f1bdc986a4581615f0102a47/merged/usr/local/zeebe/conf/zeebe.cfg.toml\\\” caused \\\“not a directory\\\”\“”: unknown: Are you trying to mount a directory onto a file (or vice-versa)? Check if the specified host path exists and is the expected type’
ERROR: Encountered errors while bringing up the project.

Blockquote
After this error i have made an docker-machine rm default then an docker-machine create -d virtualbox --virtualbox-disk-size “45000” default without best result !!

Another bad test
docker system prune --all and docker-compose up not resolve problem !
Where is my mistake ?

Operate is included in “operate” docker compose directory or not ?
regards

1 Like

Oh yeah, this is a known issue with mounting volumes in Windows WSL. I’ll find the thread and link it here (and update the README)

Try this: https://nickjanetakis.com/blog/setting-up-docker-for-windows-and-wsl-to-work-flawlessly

1 Like

You update README of zeebe docker operate ?
So it seems me i need to add variable in my docker from Windows 18.03
There is no wsl.exe on my Windows10

Hi @pcouas, to be able to help you with your particular scenario, you will need to give more detailed information. Please see this post for an example.

In your case, the first pieces of information needed are what version of Windows you are running and how you installed Docker.

Ok it’s an windows10 Pro 18.03
it’s docker 18.09.3 installed with virtualBox (Docker toolbox)

1 Like

Thanks @pcouas - a couple of things:

1. Can your machine run Docker Desktop? Docker Toolbox is a legacy solution for machines that don’t meet the minimum hardware requirements for Docker Desktop. What hardware are you running this on?
  2. Could you please give the steps that you followed to get to this point? What I’m interesting in seeing right now is how you cloned the zeebe-docker-compose repo, but that may not be the issue. If you give me the steps to reproduce what you did, I’ll have more visibility into the problem. Imagine that you were writing instructions for yourself to do it again…

1 it’s an Alienware intel coreI7 with 12Go RAM
2 i have downloaded docker from https://github.com/docker/toolbox/releases
3 i have downloaded zeebe docker from zeebe github https://github.com/zeebe-io/zeebe-docker-compose
4 i decompress downloaded zip
4 on docker cd operate and docker-compose up

I had the same problem. I found a solution.

This docker github issue shows how to reset the credentials for drive sharing in docker.

All I needed to do was click the “reset credentials” button, re-enter my windows credentials, and start a new powershell.

1 Like

I have reinstalled new version of docker this morning

@jwulf pointed out that you’re using the D drive. You may need to check that you’re sharing the D drive in the Docker Desktop GUI. This is what mine looks like, but I only have C drive. You may need to manually check D drive.

1 Like

It’s mentioned in an article that is linked in the GitHub issue that you posted @xmclark: http://support.divio.com/local-development/docker/how-to-use-a-directory-outside-cusers-with-docker-toolboxdocker-for-windows

@pcouas your machine should be able to run Docker Desktop, with an i7 and 12GB of RAM. I would switch to that. It may or may not be the solution to this particular issue, but it’s the future. Docker Toolbox is the past.

Here are the Docker Toolbox instructions on how to give it access the D: drive (is that where you have placed the zeebe-docker-compose files?): https://docs.docker.com/toolbox/toolbox_install_windows/#optional-add-shared-directories

hi
“Docker for Windows” not starting;
HyperV5 is enable and “docker toolbox” uninstalled
Docker ask me login and password, but after nothing !

Please follow steps 1 - 3 here: https://www.thewindowsclub.com/use-docker-on-windows

1 Like